Sunday, May 22, 2016

Yellow Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting

Yellow Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting - made April 23, 2016, adapted from I Am Baker

This was originally going to be a yellow cake frosted with chocolate but I was making this recipe for a church potluck that at least 4 kids from Sunday School were going to attend so I made them as cupcakes instead. Because kids and cupcakes. Although I did reserve a little batter to make a small square cake as well.


These turned out okay. I don’t think I’m very good at making cupcakes. I get so paranoid about overbaking them that I have a tendency to take them out a minute or two too early and the cupcakes end up more dense than if I had baked them properly. The texture seemed fine but I think it could've been a bit more fluffy. The vanilla flavor was good though. And the kids liked the frosting. And remember I'm very picky so other people without my level of pickiness probably thought these were good.

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter, softened
1 1/4 cups milk
1/8 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; whisk to combine. Set aside.
  3. Beat butter until creamy, 1-2 minutes. Add dry ingredients and mix briefly.
  4. Add milk, oil, eggs and vanilla extract and beat to combine, 1-2 minutes.
  5. Scoop batter into cupcake liners, dividing evenly. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the centers come out clean. Cool completely.
Frosting
3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup milk
  1. Whisk powdered sugar, cocoa and salt together.
  2. Beat butter until softened and creamy. Alternately add the dry ingredients and milk. Add vanilla. Beat until creamy. Add additional milk or powdered sugar as needed until desired consistency is achieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment