version of these last year that were more in line with Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies but colored red. This time, these were "real" red velvet, meaning chocolate sugar cookies rolled in red sanding sugar and pressed with a candy cane Hershey's kiss.
1 3/4 cups (219 grams) all-purpose flour
3/4 cup (88 grams) cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups (350 grams) brown sugar, packed
1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 tablespoon req liquid food coloring
1 cup (175 grams) mini semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup red sanding sugar
1 12-ounce bag Hershey's Hugs for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, melt 10 tablespoons butter. Cut the remaining 4 tablespoons butter into 6-8 pieces, add to the melted butter and stir; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder.
- Add the brown sugar, vanilla, red food coloring and salt to the melted butter. Stir well to combine. Add the egg and egg yolk; stir until smooth.
- Add the flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon just until combined and flour is incorporated. Add chocolate chips and mix just until incorporated.
- Put red sanding sugar in a shallow bowl. Roll the dough into balls, about 1 1/2 tablespoons for each cookie. Roll the balls in the sanding sugar until well coated and place on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake the cookies, one sheet at a time, until they have puffed and have cracked running through the top, about 12-14 minutes; do not overbake.
- Upon removing cookies from the oven, immediately place a Hershey's Hug in the center of each cookie, pressing down to adhere the candy into the cookie. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack and cool completely.