Monday, December 21, 2015

Fudgy Toffee Brownies

Fudgy Toffee Brownies - made December 13, 2015 from Handle the Heat
This was the second thing I made for the bake sale fundraiser. I was sitting on my couch last Sunday, lazing away when I received an email from my cousin. Her son's school was holding a bake sale and the proceeds would be donated for relief efforts for the flood victims in Chennai.
I already had the M&M cookie dough in my freezer which I baked off but wanted to add more so I checked my pinterest board for a brownie recipe I stilll needed to try and came up with this one.
Easiest thing to mix together while the cookies were baking and it conveniently used some of the toffee bits I was trying to clear out of my pantry. Actually I'm trying to clear out a lot of baking ingredients from my pantry in anticipation of my drastic cutback in baking in January. Better to use now when they can do some good.
I only had the barest taste test of these brownies since I needed the whole thing for the bake sale. But it was enough of a sliver from the edge to assure you that the brownies were as moist and fudgy as they look in these pictures. I love when my brownies turn out like this - all chewy, fudgy goodness that says "here's what baked fudge tastes like; give 'em a try." No cakey brownies here.

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup toffee bits (such as Heath)
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 x 8" baking pan with foil and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. In the top half of a double boiler set over hot, barely simmering water, combine the chocolate chips, butter and unsweetened chocolate. Whisk until melted and smooth. Cool slightly.
  3. Stir in the sugar. Stir in the eggs, one at a time, beating until incorporated. Add flour, mixing until just combined. Add toffee bits and stir to combine.
  4. Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with moist crumbs, not raw batter. Do not overbake. Let cool completely before cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment