Saturday, December 12, 2015

Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Cookies

Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Cookies - made dough November 21, 2015 from American Heritage Cooking
Blogging out of order and still catching up on what I made during Thanksgiving week when I had some vacation time. I had a request from one of my nieces for her to take down chocolate chip cookies to her Thanksgiving gathering. Out come recipes I’ve pinned and I picked this one for Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Cookies  because I had purchased a multi-pack of cream cheese blocks from Costco that I wanted to use. I don’t even like cream cheese so don’t ask why I bought so much of it. Because I can’t explain it either.

Despite my cream cheese prejudices, I thought this cookie turned out pretty well. Meaning it didn’t spread too much, it stayed thick and it was chewy like a good chocolate chip cookie should be. You can taste the tang of the cream cheese but it isn’t overwhelming and I would guess if someone didn’t know this contained cream cheese, they might not know what it is.

This is the rare, maybe only, time I’m going to say this was better when it had fully cooled so it could be eaten at room temperature. When it was still warm, which is normally when I advocate eating a chocolate chip cookie, it was just a little too mushy. Not the good kind of mushy either. But when it was at room temperature, the texture was much better. My cookies didn’t turn out as pretty as the one from the original blog I got the recipe from but I thought it was still a good cookie. My niece assured me when she got back from her Thanksgiving travels that her boyfriend’s family enjoyed them. That’s all I ask.


1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups chocolate chips

  1. Whisk together in a medium bowl the flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt; set aside.
  2. Cream butter, cream cheese, sugars, egg and vanilla together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. 
  3. Reduce the speed to low and slowly add the flour mixture. After each addition mix until just incorporated.
  4. Add the chocolate chips and mix briefly to distribute. Scoop into golf-ball-size dough balls, cover and chill or freeze for several hours or overnight.
  5. Preheat the oven to 350° and line baking sheets with parchment paper. Space dough balls evenly on baking sheets. 
  6. Bake 11-12 minutes until edges are golden and middles no longer look raw or shiny. Let them cool 5 minutes on the baking sheet and then move to a wire rack to cool completely.


No comments:

Post a Comment