This is one of those recipes I felt compelled to make because I’d pinned it so long ago that it’s taken up permanent residence on my pinboard and I felt guilty every time I passed it over to try out a different recipe I’d pinned. I know, dumb, right? Because I could also just as easily delete the pin and not have it mock me that I haven’t done anything with it since the beginning of time.
It was originally supposed to be made with Twix bars but I didn’t have any on hand. I did have Kit Kats left over from the Kitty KatKrunch Brownies plus some Milky Way caramels and, serendipitously, a bit of salted caramel just crying to be used. So that seemed reason enough to give this recipe a try.
To be honest, one of the reasons I’d procrastinated on trying this one is the chocolate comes all from cocoa powder. Nothing (really) wrong with that except in my experience, all-cocoa powder brownies tend to be more cakey than fudgy. It just makes for a lighter texture, even with underbaking. And you know me, I want my brownies to be dense. Fudgy. If fudge and cake were fighting to blend together, I’d knock out cake so fudge could win.
Turns out I was right. This was fudgy enough because I did underbake it but it still had more of a cakey texture than a super-fudgy one, kind of like box-mix brownies. Plus, swirling in the caramel without parbaking the brownie always results in the caramel sinking to the bottom then it’s always a battle to cut cleanly and separate the brownie from the foil lining because of the caramel goo. And I can’t say I liked the crackly crust either. As brownies go, these were okay but you know I’m a brownie snob so while my taste testers (i.e. friends and coworkers) loved these, I thought they were just okay.
2 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 large eggs
3/4 cup cocoa
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups chopped Twix candy bars (can also substitute Kit Kats and Milky Way Caramels)
1/3 cup caramel ice cream topping (I used salted caramel sauce from Trader Joe's)
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line a 9 x 13 pan with aluminum foil and lightly spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place butter in medium saucepan on the stove. Heat over medium heat until butter is melted. Remove from heat and stir in sugar and vanilla extract.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well with spoon after each addition. Add cocoa; stir until well blended.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt; stir until combined. Stir in candy bar chunks. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Drizzle caramel evenly over the brownies. Using a toothpick, swirl caramel into brownies.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool brownies completely in pan on a wire rack. Once cool, cut into squares and serve.