Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Butterscotch Biscoff Pudding Cookies

Butterscotch Biscoff Pudding Cookies - made dough May 23, 2015 from Biscoff Cookie & Spread Cookbook by Katrina Bahl

If you like butterscotch and thick, chewy, chubby cookies, read on, Macduff. I’m still faithfully trying out recipes from my latest baking book before it inevitably gets lost in the plethora of other baking books on my overflowing shelves and I unintentionally forget I have it (alert: blatant first world problem). For now, I’ve marked up which recipes I really want to try from it and have been making my way through the post-its flagging the appropriate pages that need a second look. Think kid with new toy.

I liked how these cookies were pictured in the book with the kind of chubby factor I look for in a good cookie. Plus I had butterscotch chips to use. I did have to go out and hunt down butterscotch pudding mix since that’s not a regular in my pantry but fortunately it isn’t hard to find at the grocery store. I love pudding cookies because they almost inevitably stay thick and are moist.

This one was no exception. If I had to find fault with it – you know me and my picky taste buds – it’s that the cookie butter flavor disappeared almost entirely in the face of the butterscotch flavor. Butterscotch is a pretty dominant flavor and doesn’t share the stage well. In this case, it slapped the cookie butter to the back and kept it there. This is still a good cookie and I like the texture so I forgave it for the intrusion and dominance.
1 3.4-ounce package butterscotch pudding mix
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup creamy Biscoff spread
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups butterscotch chips
  1. Whisk together pudding mix, flour and baking powder; set aside.
  2. Cream butter, Biscoff spread, brown sugar and granulated sugar for 2 minutes until light and fluffy,
  3. Add eggs, one at a time, and vanilla, beating until just combined.
  4. Add dry ingredients in 3 batches, mixing only until just combined.
  5. Add butterscotch chips, reserving a handful. Scoop dough into golf-ball-size balls. Press several butterscotch chips on the outside. Freeze dough balls for several hours or overnight.
  6. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  7. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and space dough balls evenly, 2 inches apart. Bake for 7-9 minutes. Let cool for several minutes on cookie sheet then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment