Thursday, June 4, 2015

Bakery Review: Vienna Bakery

Vienna Bakery - visited June 22, 2014
Yet another blog post I’ve been meaning to put up for almost a year. A year, people. The reason I know it’s been almost a year is at the time I set up the post in draft form, I noted the date I had visited Vienna Bakery in anticipation of the write up I was going to do. Plus this was around the time when I was taste testing different bakeries to see where we could order the cake for my dad’s 75th birthday. In case you missed it, we didn’t go with Vienna Bakery.
I had high hopes when I walked in. The place had been recommended by a friend who had tried their sister bakery in another location. The place looked cute inside and had a bunch of mouthwatering looking cakes and other baked goods in the display cases. Lots of picture worthy treats on display to fulfill my olfactory senses. And the counter people were very nice.

For the taste test, I went with a slice of vanilla coconut cake, thinking it would suit my parents’ taste buds. Okay and my own as well. There was one slice left in the display cake and was carefully wrapped to protect the cut edges, always a nice touch since we know how drying refrigeration can be on cakes. Unfortunately, this slice proved it. I don’t know how long it had been in the refrigerated case before I bought it but plastic protection notwithstanding, this cake was dry. Seriously, bone dry. Which you know is a sin in my baking book.

I think that was another reason why I didn’t blog about Vienna Bakery at the time. I didn’t want to give it a bad review based on one product so I had intended to go back another time and try something else in the hopes that I would find something more to my liking so I could give a more balanced review. Alas, nearly a year later, we know I never made a return visit. Not necessarily because the cake was so bad and I swore never to try another thing from the bakery again but because I’m only in that area on weekends and I just never got around to going back. Although it probably didn’t help that the cake I tried wasn’t very good. If it had been, I would’ve made more of an effort to return.


So take this review with a grain of salt. I’ve tried one thing there and didn’t like it. That doesn’t mean they don’t have other baked goods that are delicious but unfortunately that wasn’t what I ended up with. It does point to the perils of holding onto baked cakes for too long though. If they had one shot to make a good impression, they missed it by selling me this dry cake.


No comments:

Post a Comment