Monday, April 6, 2015

Cinnamon Apple Pie Bread

Cinnamon Apple Pie Bread - made March 28, 2015 from Wishes N Dishes
If you’re thinking I’ve got a one-track mind when it comes to baking, you’d be right. If you’re thinking I have a Costo-sized pack of Granny Smith apples to use up, you’d also be correct.  Hence the repetition of similar desserts over the last couple of weeks. The Snickerdoodle Apple Bread kicked it off and I enjoyed that one so much I wanted to keep making it.

But since I have recipe ADD, I wanted to try something similar but different. Fortunately, I also can have a one-track mind when I’m pinning recipes so I also have a lot of similar recipes on my pinterest boards. This one was just waiting for me to pay attention to it so I did.

Like the Snickerdoodle Apple Bread, this is also a quick bread and has the same hallmarks of apples in the bread with some brown sugar cinnamon streusel tossed into the mix and on top of the bread. I took things one step farther and mixed a simple vanilla glaze to pour over it: a cup of confectioners’ sugar, a teaspoon of vanilla and just enough milk to make it the consistency you want. Then pour over the warm bread.

I thought this bread turned out fairly well and I’m glad I added the glaze on top to give it a little more moistness because the bread itself wasn’t as moist as the Snickerdoodle Apple Bread. It also didn’t have as much flavor so next time I would probably increase the cinnamon with the brown sugar as well as mix  ½ to 1 teaspoon of cinnamon into the batter.
⅓ cup light brown sugar (not packed)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
⅔ cup white sugar
½ cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1¾ teaspoons baking powder
½ cup milk
1 apple, peeled and chopped (I used Granny Smith)
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. 
  2. Mix brown sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl and set aside. Beat white sugar and butter together in a bowl using an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, until incorporated; add vanilla extract and stir until incorporated. 
  3. Combine flour and baking powder together in another bowl; stir into creamed butter mixture. 
  4. Mix milk into batter until smooth. Pour half the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Next add half the apples and half the brown sugar cinnamon mixture. Lightly pat/push apple mixture into batter. Pour the remaining batter over apple layer; top with remaining apples and add more brown sugar/cinnamon mixture. 
  5. Lightly pat/push apples into batter; swirl brown sugar mixture through apples using a finger or spoon. 
  6. Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes. Glaze if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment