4 oz unsweetened chocolate, roughly chopped
3 tablespoons instant espresso powder (can cut to 2 tablespoons if you wish)
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (increase to 3 tablespoons if you're going to cut back on the espresso powder)
3/4 cup whole milk
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp fine sea salt
Peanut Butter Cake Filling
1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup whole milk
1/4 tsp fine sea salt
4 oz dark chocolate, roughly chopped
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 Tbsp glucose, or light corn syrup
Peanut Butter Glaze
2 Tbsp smooth peanut butter
2 -3 Tbsp whole milk
3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
pinch of salt
- Chocolate Cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously butter a 10-cup bundt pan and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat unsweetened chocolate at half power at 30 second intervals. Stir often. Heat until chocolate is melted. Set aside.
- In a glass measuring cup, stir together instant espresso powder and cocoa powder. Add enough hot water until liquid mixture measures 1 cup. Stir until powders are dissolved. Add milk and let cool.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, making sure egg is incorporated before adding the next. Scrape down bowl as needed. Add slightly cooled melted chocolate. Continue to mix on medium-low speed until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- With the mixer on low, add 1/3 of milk mixture, then 1/2 of flour mixture. Repeat, ending with the milk mixture. Mix until combined.
- Peanut Butter Cake Filling: In a medium bowl, cream together butter and peanut butter until smooth. Add sugar and mix until combined. Add egg and mix.
- Fold in flour and salt. Add milk and stir to combine. Mix until flour is incorporated.
- Cake Assembly: Add half of chocolate batter to prepared bundt pan. Distribute peanut butter cake filling on top of chocolate layer. Swirl with knife to spread out peanut butter batter. Add remaining chocolate batter to cover peanut butter batter.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, until toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for a couple of minutes before unmolding. Let cool to room temperature on wire rack.
- Chocolate Glaze: Over a double boiler, melt together chocolate and butter until smooth. Remove from heat and whisk in glucose. Pour over cooled bundt cake.
- Peanut Butter Glaze: Stir together sifted powdered sugar, peanut butter, and salt. Add milk and stir until smooth. Add additional milk if glaze is too dry. If glaze is too thick, add additional sifted powdered sugar. Drizzle peanut butter glaze over chocolate glazed bundt cake.