1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter, sugars, and beat on medium-high speed until creamed and well combined, about 3 minutes.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add the egg, vanilla; beat on medium-high speed until well combined, light and fluffy.
- Add the add the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, optional salt, and beat on low speed until just combined.
- Using a medium 2-inch cookie scoop, form approximately 14 equal-sized mounds of dough (2 heaping tablespoons each) and roll into balls. Chill for several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon, and stir to combine. Dredge each mound of dough through the cinnamon-sugar.
- Place dough mounds on baking sheet, spaced at least 2 inches apart and bake for about 9 minutes, or until edges have set and tops are just set, even if slightly undercooked, pale, and glossy in the center; don't overbake. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for about 10 minutes before serving.