Sunday, March 9, 2014

Lemon French Toast

Lemon French Toast - made March 1, 2014 from Created by Diane
Last up for Lemon Week is the lemon twist on traditional French toast. I'm not quite sure what I expected other than it would be like regular French toast with a little lemon flavor. Which is what I got. I might've gotten the same effect just squeezing lemon over French toast.
I think part of it was because I topped it with maple syrup rather than a lemon topping so lemon wasn't really a star, more like a supporting character. If you want to go all out on lemon, I would suggest making a lemon glaze (confectioners' sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice) or serving this with lemon curd, hold the butter and maple syrup. Also, make sure you fry this long enough so it isn't soggy or undercooked (ahem, guilty), especially if you cut your bread into thick slices. Mine browned too quickly on one side and I didn't let it cook long enough on the other side so it was soggier than it should've been.
Thus ends the wrap up of Lemon Week but I still have a big bowl of lemons to use so I will probably be sneaking in lemon recipes here and there in the coming weeks.
4 slices Texas toast (I used 4 thick slices of challah)
1 cup milk
2 eggs
¼ cup fresh lemon juice and zest from 1 of the lemons
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon lemon extract, optional
2 tablespoons butter
2-3 tablespoons powdered sugar
  1. Mix, milk, lemon juice, vanilla and lemon emulsion along with eggs until well blended.
  2. Dip each piece of bread into the batter and turn over so both sides absorb the mixture and it has time to soak in.
  3. Heat skillet to medium, place 1 tablespoon butter in pan and place bread into pan and cook on each side until lightly crisp, then cover it for another minute or to until center of toast is cooked through.
  4. Spread butter on top of each slice and dust with powdered sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment