Monday, January 20, 2014

Slow Cooker Chicken in Honey Sauce

Slow Cooker Chicken in Honey Sauce - made January 5, 2014 from Slava's Recipes
After I got back from my trip, I didn't jump right back into baking since I figured everyone was trying to eat healthier and cut back on baked goods, including myself. At least for now. January is also the time when I make yet another effort to cook more and eat at home more instead of going out to eat with friends or getting takeout (20 days into the new year and I'm having only mixed success with this one.)

As always, pulling out my slow cooker is a safe bet. I looked through the recipes I've pinned onto my Cooking board on pinterest and was struck with how I tend to pin the same type of recipes: easy to make, slow cooker or otherwise, usually shrimp or chicken and if a chicken dish in a slow cooker, always seemingly some combination of soy sauce and honey. They all taste really similar too. I'm a pretty boring eater if I have to cook it myself.
This recipe epitomizes the stereotype of my cooking on almost all fronts. It was ridiculously easy to make since it didn't involve anything more than stirring the sauce ingredients together and throwing in the crock pot with the chicken. And like almost everything I cook in a crock pot, it gets watery/soupy so I had to thicken it with some cornstarch dissolved in water. It was fine and fed me for a week but I have to admit, by the end of the week, I was so tired of eating the same thing that I packed up the rest to put in the freezer for another time. And I only made half the recipe below. Alas, the drawback of crock pot cooking for one.
1½ - 2 pounds boneless,skinless chicken breasts
salt and freshly ground black pepper,to taste
2 cups honey
1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic,peeled and minced
sesame seeds for garnish
  1. Place chicken breasts in slow cooker, season with salt and pepper.
  2. In a mixing bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, ketchup, olive oil and garlic.
  3. Mix well and pour mixture over chicken
  4. Cover slow cooker and cook on low heat setting for 6-8 hours.
  5. Garnish with sesame seeds and serve over rice or pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment