Nevertheless, I was pleased that it did get crunchy thanks to the crumb coating. Not only was it healthier than deep frying but I didn't have the hassle of cleaning my deep fryer or dumping the excess oil. Just line your baking pan with foil and it's easy to clean up after.
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon paprika
2 cups panko crumbs
- Whisk together the buttermilk and sour cream. Place chicken in a gallon-size ziploc bag and pour in buttermilk-sour cream mixture. Seal bag and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking pan with foil and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine flour, salt, pepper, allspice and paprika in a shallow bowl. Pour panko crumbs in a separate shallow bowl.
- Remove chicken pieces from ziploc bag and shake off excess mixture. Dredge in flour and spices then roll in panko crumbs coating completely. If panko crumbs aren't sticking to the chicken, re-dip into the buttermilk mixture and roll directly in the crumbs. Arrange chicken in single layer in prepared pan and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.