Friday, January 10, 2014

Bakery Review: Maison Bertaux, London, England

Maison Bertaux - dessert on December 29, 2013
After we had dinner at Wagamama, we were in the mood for dessert but nothing on the Wagamama dessert menu looked appealing so we got a recommendation from our waitress as well as yelp'd and google mapped possibilities which led us to Maison Bertaux nearby. According to their website, they're the oldest and "best" patisserie in London.
Part of the display case from the inside
It's a very small shop with only a few tables, typical of London. Instead of a formal dessert menu, the patisserie offerings were in a display case in the front of the shop. The girls chose a cheesecake and I went with an apple tart. After making our selections, the person manning the bakery brought the desserts to our (small) table.
Some sort of fruit-topped cheesecake
The cheesecake was light according to my nieces. Since I don't like cheesecake, I didn't try it so I'll take their word for it. My apple tart was tasty, particularly the crumble topping, but I don't know that I would consider it extraordinary. Both desserts were rather expensive though, as are seemingly most things in London, and came to almost 10 GBP. Can't say they were exactly worth it but they were sweet and hit the spot before we headed back to the hotel for the night. I don't know that I can give Maison Bertaux a fair review based on only one (or two) offerings but it's worth stopping by and checking out if you're in the neighborhood.
Apple Tart with a crumble topping

No comments:

Post a Comment