Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Spinach Quiche (paleo, Whole30)

Spinach Quiche - made October 30, 2013 from Paleo Diet Lifestyle
Ooh, look, something healthy on my blog - can you believe it?  AND, I actually ate it too. This is a spinach quiche that is paleo friendly and Whole 30 compliant.  I heard about Whole 30 from online fitness friends and, in seeking to shed some poundage before the holiday eating begins, I thought I'd give it a try. I want the wiggle room in my waistband for the serious holiday eating, you know.  And that was even after I found out eating the Whole 30 way means no sugar, no dairy, no grains, no legumes and, for any drinkers out there (I'm not one), no alcohol.  In other words, all the food that makes life worth living are probably not on this eating plan.  The lengths I go to in order to keep my clothes fitting, preferably loosely.
I will confess up front that I did not make it the whole 30 days.  I lasted 11 days and lost 3 pounds which so far have remained off.  It was too restrictive for me with my baking tendencies and social life of eating out.  But hey, while I was on the program, this quiche met all the Whole 30 guidelines.  As long as you use canned coconut milk instead of the one in cartons (try an Asian grocery store or the Asian aisle at Target or regular grocery stores for canned coconut milk).  And preferably organic spinach if you can get it.  Cage-free eggs help too.  You get where I'm going with this: all natural, healthy ingredients grown and harvested in the most humane way possible with very little to no additives and preservatives. I like eggs and I don't mind spinach if it's cooked enough and I can eat it with something else.  This quiche was easy to make but I forgot to salt and pepper it before I baked it so it came out a little bland.  But it was decent and filling. If I sound lukewarm about it, well, yeah, it's because it doesn't have cheese, milk or a crust underneath it.  But it'll do.
5 large eggs
1 ½ cups fresh spinach, chopped
½ medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
½ cup coconut milk (canned)
½ tsp baking powder
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and coconut milk together. Continue whisking while adding the rest of the ingredients.
  3. Grease a 9” pie dish and pouring in the mixture. Bake the quiche for about 30 minutes, or until cooked through in the center.

No comments:

Post a Comment