Sunday, November 24, 2013

Snickerdoodle Pancakes

Snickerdoodle Pancakes - made November 21, 2013 from Number 2 Pencil
I had a 6:30 am meeting last week that I took from home since there was no way I was going to be awake, showered, dressed and coherent at the office by then.  Fortunately, it was an all-hands meeting so I could be logged on from my laptop in my kitchen with the phone on speaker and I could listen to the meeting and still multi-task, namely make myself breakfast. I don't normally eat that early since I usually work out first thing in the morning and eat only when I get to the office.  In hindsight, technically I suppose I could've been on my treadmill getting a workout in while I listened to the all-hands but I tend to zone out when I'm exercising so that probably wouldn't have been a good idea.
Instead, I made pancakes. I think I could bake or prepare sweet treats like pancakes in my sleep so this was a safe multi-tasking effort.  Especially pancakes which are so easy to put together.  Dump the dry ingredients in one bowl, the wet ingredients in the other, whisk together while the frying pan is heating and fry.  Initially I was going to skip the cinnamon vanilla glaze and use syrup instead but since the pancakes took such little time and effort to make, I decided to go ahead with the glaze. It turned out to be a good thing that I did because the glaze was the best part....says the person who normally doesn't like frosting and this was essentially like a frosting but thinner and better. I only used 1/4 cup milk to make fluffier pancakes like the recipe suggested but the pancakes didn't come out as fluffy as others I've made.  It also isn't sweet at all which is good because the glaze provides the needed sweetness and flavor and I think having sweet pancakes would've been too much with the glaze.  On the other hand, with so much sour cream in them, they actually turned out a little bitter and I think they could've used a little more sweetness.  I'd suggest keeping the glaze recipe and making something like the Orange Cinnamon Roll pancakes and subbing out the orange glaze in that recipe for the cinnamon glaze in this recipe for that snickerdoodle slant. Which is what I did the next day to use up the leftover glaze (pics below).
Made with this pancake recipe
1 cup of all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons of sugar
2 teaspoons of cream of tartar
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon of kosher salt
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
¼ teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg
1 cup of sour cream
4 tablespoons of melted butter
1 egg, lightly beaten
¼ – ½ cup of milk
  1. Combine dry ingredients in large bowl and whisk to combine.
  2. Add wet ingredients and whisk just until combined.
  3. Use ¼ cup of milk for thicker, fluffy pancakes. Add more milk for thinner, tender pancakes.
  4. Pour ¼ cup of pancake batter onto hot non-stick griddle.
  5. When edges of pancakes start to set, flip and cook until light golden brown.
  6. Serve with butter and cinnamon vanilla glaze.
Cinnamon Vanilla Glaze
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3-4 tablespoons milk (depending on the consistency you want)
  1. Whisk ingredients together, adding the milk 1 tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency is achieved.  Pour over hot pancakes and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment