Chocolate Cookie Layer
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled to tepid
1 ½ cups plus 3 tablespoons chocolate sandwich cookie crumbs (I used Oreos)
Mud Brownie Batter
1 ¼ cups bleached cake flour
¼ cup unsweetened alkalized cocoa powder
¼ teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
½ pound (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted and cooled to tepid
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled to tepid
5 large eggs
2 cups superfine sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup chopped walnuts (I left out)
1/3 cup Midnight Milky Ways, cut into large dice plus another ½ cup for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 325⁰F. Line a 10-inch square baking pan with foil and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix the cookie layer: Pour the melted butter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the chocolate cookie crumbs evenly over the melted butter. Press down on the crumbs with the underside of an offset metal spatula so that the crumbs absorb the butter. Bake the cookie layer in the preheated oven for 4 minutes. Place the baking pan on a cooling rack and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Mix the batter: Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt onto a sheet of waxed paper. In a small bowl, toss the chocolate chips with ½ teaspoon of the sifted mixture.
- Whisk the melted butter and melted chocolate in a medium-size mixing bowl until smooth. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs for 1 minute to blend, add the sugar and whisk for 45 seconds to 1 minute, or until just incorporated. Blend in the melted butter-chocolate mixture, mixing thoroughly. Blend in the vanilla extract. Sift the flour mixture over and slowly stir it in, mixing until the particles of flour are absorbed, using a whisk, wooden spoon or flat wooden paddle. Blend in the chocolate chips, walnuts (if using) and 1/3 cup Midnight Milky Ways.
- Spoon the batter in large dollops on the cookie crumb layer. Carefully spread the batter over the cookie layer, using a flexible palette knife or spatula.
- Bake the brownies in the preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until set. 5 minutes before the brownies are done, sprinkle with the ½ cup of Midnight Milky Ways and return to oven to soften. Remove when a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Cool the brownies completely in the pan on a rack. Cut when cool.