1 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
1 stick plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3 large eggs
1 3/4 cups cake flour, sifted then measured
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, cut into 1/4-inch chunks
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted, for rolling (optional)
- In a double boiler, melt the semisweet and unsweetened chocolates over low heat until melted and smooth. Let cool to lukewarm.
- In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the butter, sugars and vanilla extract until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, stopping several times to scrape the bowl. Pour in the melted chocolate and mix to combine.
- Fold in the sifted flour by hand until no traces of white remain. Fold in the bittersweet chocolate chunks. Chill for 1 hour.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper or Silpats.
- Using a scoop or large spoon, scoop 2 tablespoons of dough for each cookie, roll in sifted confectioners' sugar (if desired) and place on lined cookie sheets, leaving about 2 inches of space between cookies.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until cracked and puffed on top. For smaller cookies, bake 9 to 10 minutes. Let cool on sheets for about 10 minutes. Transfer to racks to cool completely.