Friday, May 17, 2013

Shrimp with Garlic and Cilantro

Shrimp with Garlic and Cilantro - made May 12, 2013, recipe adapted from Cooking Melangery

The original recipe called for using parsley but I needed cilantro for another recipe and I didn't want to buy both when I only needed a little of each.  So I substituted cilantro in this recipe.  I thought I had a dusty bottle of white wine in my pantry but it turns out it was a dusty bottle of red wine from the last time I needed a couple of tablespoons for cooking so I also substituted that in as well.  The good thing about cooking is it's a lot more forgiving than baking on substituting random ingredients. And while I have the pickiest taste buds when it comes to desserts, I'm less picky about savory foods, especially when I have to cook it myself.  Then I'm a lot more flexible.

This is another quick shrimp stir fry that took mere minutes to throw together.  It was good and it was simple, making it a contender for an easy weeknight meal when you're short on time.  Plus healthy and low calorie when you have it on a bed of salad greens which is what I did.  I saved my calories for dessert.

4 to 5 tablespoons olive oil
4 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 to 2 tablespoons dry white wine
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
  1. In a sauté pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the garlic, red pepper flakes and paprika and sauté for 1 minute until fragrant. 
  2. Increase the heat to high, add the shrimp, lemon juice and dry white wine, stir well, and sauté until the shrimp turn pink and are opaque throughout, about 3-5 minutes. 
  3. Season with salt and black pepper, sprinkle with the cilantro and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment