Thursday, December 20, 2012

Corn Pudding

Corn Pudding - made December 15, 2012 from allrecipes.com

First day of holiday vacation!  Or at least it will be as soon as I take one more meeting this morning (that's how we take "vacation" in high tech).  Then I need to catch up on a slew of backlogged blog posts this coming week. 

I first heard of corn pudding from my online fitness board and I found a similar recipe on allrecipes.com, except I substituted butter for margarine.  (I'm not sure I'm physically capable of buying margarine since it goes against every baking fiber of my being.)  I like corn though so I thought I'd try this recipe. It's really easy to mix together and I had some sour cream on the cusp of expiring that I needed to use in a hurry.

I'm not quite sure what I expected and I have to admit, I couldn't tell if I liked this or not on my first try.  It's not quite creamy like a regular pudding and not quite gritty like cornbread but some cross in between.  I thought it might improve with age versus trying when first out of the oven so I let it sit a day and went back for another taste test the next day.  Truthfully?  I still don't know what to think about it.  It's "okay" but just not to my taste.  I think I'd rather have corn on the cob, grilled and slathered with butter.  Oh (TMI alert) and you probably should never use sour cream on the "cusp" of expiration.  Because there's a chance the one I used might've jumped the shark already and hence why I've been down with a stomach virus this past week.  Ugh.  I always used to joke I'm a good stomach flu (or self-inflicted food poisoning) away from a size 2.  It's only funny until it happens.  Erk.  Total upside though is I can get into my skinny jeans in time for Christmas.  Always a silver lining.

1 15.25-ounce can whole kernel corn, drained
1 15-ounce can cream-style corn
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sour cream
1 8.5-ounce package dry cornbread mix
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 2 quart casserole dish.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix together the whole kernel corn, cream style corn, butter, sour cream, and corn bread mix. Pour into the prepared casserole dish.
  3. Bake for 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment