Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Chocolate Waffles

Chocolate Waffles - made December 7, 2012, recipe adapted from Better Homes & Gardens 2012 Chocolate edition


Whenever you see me post a breakfast recipe that I actually ate for breakfast, that's code for I didn't have any real food in the house, just baking ingredients.  So I make pancakes or waffles or something breakfast-y until I can go grocery shopping and stock up on protein ingredients.  It's just as well I didn't have real food on hand at the time I made these though or I might've missed out on a good chocolate waffle.  This isn't too chocolaty but it was good - light, crisp and flavored just chocolaty enough.  I only made a half batch of these and am stocked up for another 3-4 breakfasts.

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 egg yolks
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup butter, melted (the original recipe called for shortening but I prefer butter)
2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled (I used Guittard chocolate buttons/wafers)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 egg whites
  1. Melt butter and chocolate together in the top half of a double boiler set over hot, not simmering, water.  Whisk smooth.
  2. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Make a well in the center of flour mixture; set aside.
  3. In another medium bowl, combine egg yolks, milk, butter-chocolate mixture and vanilla.  Add to flour mixture all at once.  Stir just until moistened (do not overmix).
  4. In a small mixing bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until stiff peaks form.  Gently fold into chocolate mixture.  Do not overmix.
  5. Pour 1 cup to 1 1/4 cups of batter onto the grids of a preheated, lightly greased waffle baker.  Close lid quickly; do not open until done.  Bake according to the manufacturer's directions.  When done, use a fork to lift the waffle off the grids.  Repeat with remaining batter.  Serve warm.
Cast Party Wednesday  What's cooking, love?

No comments:

Post a Comment