Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Browned Butter Blondies

Browned Butter Blondies - made November 14, 2012 from Purple Chocolat Home

I'm supposed to be sticking to tried and true recipes now since I don't have time for baking failures during the holiday season.  But sometimes I don't listen to myself.  Which means I still try to sneak in a few baking experiments here and there, especially for something that looks so good like this did when I saw it on pinterest.  I cut  the original recipe in half since I didn't need a full 9 x 13 pan and brought these into work.

Mine didn't come out as fluffy looking as the original pinterest picture did, maybe because a half recipe in an 8 x 8 pan doesn't make as thick a blondie and I could've baked it a minute or two longer.  The frosting was good but I think mine came out a little too sweet and the sweetness competed with the brown butter taste.  I would be cautious about adding the powdered sugar and temper it with less milk and less sugar.  But everyone's taste buds are different so just experiment with what tastes best to you.  Overall, I think this was a good simple blondie that's easy to make.  And browned butter smells good no matter what you use it for.

1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  1. Line an 8 x 8 pan with foil and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Cream the butter and brown sugar and then add the eggs and vanilla.  Mix the dry ingredients in a small bowl and then beat into the butter mixture.
  3. Spread into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs.  Remove and let cool.
Browned Butter Frosting
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 - 2 cups powdered sugar (to taste and texture preference)
1-2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  1. In small heavy saucepan, melt the butter and brown on medium heat just until golden and fragrant (browned butter will have an almost nutty fragrance), stirring regularly.  Remove from heat and let cool until lukewarm.  
  2. Place butter in mixing bowl and add the powdered sugar, vanilla and 1 tablespoon milk.  Add more if necessary. Beat until desired texture is reached.
  3. Frost cooled blondies and garnish with chopped toasted nuts if desired.
Chef In Training    Inside BruCrew Life

2 comments:

  1. These look wonderful!
    Rich and very moist - just they way I like my blondies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks divine, looking at your steps and i can say this is definitely going to my best list of easy dessert recipes

    ReplyDelete