Monday, October 1, 2012

Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies

Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies - made September 29, 2012 from Land O Lakes Treasury of Country Recipes

My friend Rick's favorite cookie is oatmeal chocolate chip.  I kept meaning to bake him some and mail them to him and his family but either I had time to bake the cookies or I had time to go to the post office on the right day (has to be either on a Saturday, Monday or Tuesday to make sure they didn't hang in the mail longer than necessary) but never both.  The last 2 oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipes I tried out were technically meant for Rick but they ended up going to local friends instead since I could never get to the post office in time (that's my story, Rick, and I'm sticking to it).  In any case, the stars finally aligned and I knew I could get to the post office last weekend so I flipped through my cookbooks to find a traditional oatmeal cookie recipe.  My requirements for a good oatmeal cookie recipe is 1) it should contain more oatmeal than flour;  otherwise it's just a chocolate chip cookie with a little oatmeal in it, 2) it should contain brown sugar for that molasses/toffee undertone and 3) I can substitute chocolate chips for raisins.  Raisins aren't my thing and just like my brain doesn't process seeing "margarine" in a recipe and automatically substitutes butter, I don't process "raisins" in my head either and I always use chocolate chips instead.

This was from a cookbook that I've had for literally more than 20 years but I've never tried the oatmeal cookie recipe in it.  It has all the hallmarks of a classic oatmeal cookie in that the edges were crisp and the cookie was satisfyingly chewy.  I erred on the side of underbaking because I was shipping these and they would dry out a little just in the time it took them to get to their destination. Enjoy, Rick, Mrs. Rick and little twin Ricks.

3 cups quick-cooking oats

2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups chocolate chips

1.     Preheat oven to 375°F.  In large mixer bowl combine all ingredients except flour and chocolate chips.  Beat at low speed, scraping bowl often, until well-mixed (1 to 2 minutes).  Add flour, beating until well mixed (do not overmix).  Stir in chocolate chips by hand.
2.     Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.  Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.

  Chef In Training 

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm those look so yummy.

    http://www.shilohstaste.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chewy oatmeal cookies that have more oatmeal than flour too!!! I like raisins, but usually opt for chocolate chips too! I am sure your friends loved them!!!

    ReplyDelete