Monday, June 4, 2012

Lemon "Brownies" - the new chocolate?

Lemon Brownies - made May 25 and June 2, 2012, recipe adapted from Becky Charms' blog
2nd attempt was more moist and fluffy although my camera didn't take a good pic
 When I saw the pictures of these "brownies" from Becky Charms' blog, I had to make them.  They looked so good and the recipe seemed very straightforward and easy to make.  Plus I still had fresh lemons to use up from my mom's lemon tree.  I followed the original recipe as is when I first made it but it didn't turn out as moist as I expected it to be from Becky Charms' picture. From the picture in hers, I thought it would be more moist.  It's possible I baked it a minute or two longer than I should have even though I baked it for even less time than her recipe said to.  They weren't dry but I expected them to be more lemon "fudgy" if that makes sense. 
1st attempt wasn't as moist as I wanted it to be
So I tried them again.  This time, I doubled the recipe, added a little baking powder so they'd get a little rise and baked them in a 9 x 9" pan for the thickness I wanted.  I'm so glad I tried again because the 2nd attempt was much better.  They were a bit more cakey because of the baking powder so it might've crossed from "brownie" to "cake" but I liked it just the same.  This is a perfect cake (or brownie) for summer gatherings when you need a non-chocolate alternative that can survive the heat.

The "Brownie" Batter
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
4 tablespoons lemon zest
4 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Tart Lemon Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
4-5 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon zest

1.      Preheat oven to 350°F.  Line a 9-by-9-inch pan with foil and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. 
2.      In the bowl of an electric mixture fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter until creamy, about 45-60 seconds.  Add sugar and beat together until combined then add salt. 
3.      In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, lemon zest, and lemon juice until combined. Pour into the mixture and beat at medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes.  Add baking powder and flour and beat just to combine (do not overmix).
4.      Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25-28 minutes, or until just starting to turn golden around the edges and a toothpick inserted into the center of the brownies comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before glazing.  Do not overbake.
5.      When brownies are cooled completely, make the glaze: combine the powdered sugar with the lemon zest and juice, and whisk together. Spread 1/2 the glaze over the brownies with a rubber spatula.  Let glaze harden.  Spread the remaining glaze over the bars, and let it harden.  Cut into bars, and serve.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm, not sure about yours being a bit dry...mine were very moist, just as the pics showed...now I think I'll try your adapted version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the first time I made them I baked them too long because they weren't as moist as yours looked. But the second time was the charm, probably because I doubled the recipe so it made it thicker and less prone to baking quickly. Thanks for the recipe - it was delicious!

      Delete
  2. YAY!! These are perfect! I had already tried the original recipe and agree with your assessment. These are super-moist and super-lemony.

    ReplyDelete