Sunday, August 14, 2011

Garden update - my first corn harvest!

August 13, 2011

When I first planted the corn seedlings right before Easter, I made the novice mistake of planting the seedlings too close together.  I had to dig up a few before they grew too big and replant them in a different "line" so they had room to grow.  Furthermore, I also didn't know at the time that you shouldn't plant corn in single-file fashion but clustered together so they can pollinate more easily.  I also happened to plant them so that some got more sun than others.  Eh, I probably committed just about every mistake you can make with corn.

No matter, they still grew!  Thanks to almost daily watering, the ones that got the most sun are higher than my fence and yesterday I harvested 3 full, ripe ears of corn.  There are still a couple dozen ears growing along so fortunately I can harvest them gradually and keep myself supplied with fresh corn.  Kewwwwwl.......

No comments:

Post a Comment