Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Double Chocolate Toffee Brownies

Double Chocolate Toffee Brownies - made March 1, 2011 from The Brownie Experience by Lisa Tanner (book #50)


The original name for these brownies was Double Chocolate Peanut Brownies but I couldn't bring myself to add peanuts to the batter, even though they do go on top.  Instead, I substituted Heath Milk Chocolate Toffee Bits.  They add some crunch as well as the toffee flavor.  Because I skipped the peanuts which normally contain salt, I did add a pinch of salt to the batter itself to compensate.  The nice thing about baking basic brownies is you can dress them up or down as much as you please.

There isn't much batter to this brownie recipe so don't bake it in anything bigger than an 8" pan.  You might even want to go smaller if you want thicker brownies.  There's no chemical leavening in these so you can pretty much count on them being flat and fudgy. I baked these for just under 25 minutes since the toothpick came out clean then.  If I had baked them as the recipe suggested, I think they would've been dry.  Check them early since baking time will also depend on your oven.  These brownies are fudgy in texture but more sweet than rich chocolaty.

The Brownie Experience has the distinction of being the first all-brownie recipe book I remember buying and hails back to my college days so it's over 20 years old.  I'm now at book #50 in my baking challenge. It sounds like I've made a lot of progress but I think I'm only at the 25% mark in going through all my baking books and baking a recipe from each one.  And I've been at this for more than 4 months.  Oy.

½ cup butter, softened
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1 cup sugar
1 egg
½ teaspoon vanilla
½ cup flour
1/3 cup chopped toasted peanuts
1/3 cup chocolate chips

1.     Preheat oven to 350˚F.  Lightly butter an 8” square pan. 
2.     In a small saucepan, melt butter and chocolate together over low heat.  Remove from heat and beat in sugar, then egg and vanilla.  Stir in flour until well combined.  Spread in pan.  Combine peanuts and chocolate chips; sprinkle evenly over top of batter, pressing down lightly.
3.     Bake about 35 minutes, or until top springs back when lightly pressed with fingertip.  I baked for less than 25 minutes.  Check them at 20 minutes and make the judgment call.
4.     Cool completely in pan.  Cut into squares.

Makes 16 brownies

No comments:

Post a Comment