Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Potato Onion Frittata

Potato Onion (and Ham) Frittata - made January 5, 2011, adapted from Mary Engelbreit's Queen of the Kitchen (book #33)


I've never made a frittata before but once I looked through a few recipes, it looked pretty simple to make and seemed just like a more uppity version of scrambled eggs.  Which I love so I thought I'd try my hand at it, especially since I'm cutting back on the baking temporarily but still have to eat so I might as well cook.

I got the original recipe from the Mary Engelbreit book but I took so many liberties with it that I figure I might as well write up what I did.  It was actually quite liberating not to follow a recipe so closely and just make it up as I go, especially as I was trying to use the ingredients I had on hand.  Now I have a better understanding of cooks on the "hot side" who can make it up as they go and come up with their own creations.  Although I think I will still always prefer baking and the more exact nature of it.

But I did like how this turned out.  The eggs were fluffy and the potatoes were just the right, soft texture.  The original recipe called for parsley but I'm glad I substituted basil for it since I prefer the taste of basil to parsley.  I wasn't as wild about the onions but mainly because I don't care for onions unless I can't taste them.  Next time I might cut back on them and add more ham.  I couldn't really taste the cheese but assume they added to the creamy texture of the frittata.  Check this when it's in the oven as you only want to bake it until the eggs in the middle are just set.  Otherwise the edges will be overdone.


1 large Russet potato, peeled and sliced into rounds
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 large yellow onion (you can use all of the onion if you love onion), chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
8 slices ham, cut into 1/2" squares
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
salt and freshly ground pepper
8 large eggs
1/4 cup half and half
1/4 cup grated cheese (your choice - I used a 6-cheese blend)
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. In a large saucepan, cover the potato with salted water and bring to a boil over high heat.  Cook for 10 minutes or until tender.  Drain and set aside.
  3. In a 10-inch ovenproof skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.  Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until softened.  Add the potato, ham, basil, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until most of the liquid has evaporated.
  4. In a medium bowl, beat together the eggs, half and half and the cheese.  Pour into the skillet and stir until mixed.  Cook over medium heat, about 3 minutes, until the eggs just begin to set.  Place the skillet in the oven and cook for about 10 minutes or until the eggs are set.  Let stand at room temperature, loosely covered, for 5 minutes.
  5. To serve, with a spatula loosen the frittata from the skillet, invert onto a platter, and cut into 6 wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment